Try to follow me here…
I don’t love to walk and I don’t love to workout. I really don’t. Even when I do it, I still don’t love it unless I am walking with a friend which makes it bearable. Of course if it’s with my friend/business partner GiGi in Florida, I still don’t love it because she makes me do 4 miles, it’s hot and there are mosquitoes. The only reason why I walk the 4 miles with her is we sometimes get Cafe Con Leche (unbelievably good Cuban Coffee) at the end of Mile 3 and we always have good talks. Plus, she would probably be relentless until I went.
I love how walking makes me feel when I’m done. Walking loves me, I am trying to love it back. Yes, I have tried every excuse… My knee hurts, my back hurts, my ankle hurts, blah, blah, blah. Rather than preach, I figured I’d do some lists again…
I know your excuses:
- I’m too heavy
- I’m out of shape
- My ____________ hurts
- I don’t have time
- It’s too cold
- It’s too hot
- There’s no where safe to walk
- What ever reason you can think of
And to your excuses I say this:
- If you are heavy start with baby steps. It will get easier and you will thank me.
- You are out of shape because you don’t walk. Start walking.
- Yes it hurts. Mine did too, but it doesn’t anymore unless I over do it. Know your boundaries, but make sure to push yourself a bit each day. Usually “it” is hurting because of a) your weight and b) because you don’t walk. Did you know walking is really good for a bad back?
- Make time. It’s like juicing… have a plan and stick to it.
- If it’s too hot, too cold, rainy or not safe to walk, then put in a walking tape at home.
Really, just do it. You are worth the time and effort – the truth is, your health depends on it.
A few tips:
- Find a buddy to walk with. My stay at home neighbor walks her working neighbors dog every afternoon. What a win-win situation that is! My friend Lori walks with her 11-year-old son. How awesome will those memories be down the road?
- Get a good walking tape to do at home or with co-workers at lunch. I walk with my dog, my husband or a friend here and there, but I LOVE my walking tape. It’s convenient, I can turn a fan on me so I don’t get too hot and it’s fast. I absolutely love Leslie Sansone’s Walk Away the Pounds tapes – especially this one, because each mile is only 12 minutes long, there’s a two-minute boost at the end of each mile and it’s convenient. I also like that you can pick how many miles you want to do. I usually do 3, but if I’m in a hurry I do two. Sometimes the talking gets on my nerves and I mute it to listen to my iPod. Certainly, you can fit in 30 minutes to do this. Note: If you are just starting, pick one of her beginner tapes so it’s not such a fast pace.
- Make sure to hydrate before and after.
- Wear a good pair of walking shoes. They make a HUGE difference. Huge. Feet that hurt will stop hurting with a good pair of shoes. I recently bought this pair of Ryka’s. with the blue accents. They only make shoes for women. I like them because they are light and really, really comfortable. I read the reviews (5 starts) and went a 1/2 size up – glad I did! Find a shoe that is good for your foot!
- Pencil it in or you’ll end up not doing it!
Okay! I’m off my soap box… guess I better get walking tonight! I almost forgot… I lost another pound today… that’s 7 pounds in 7 days of the juice fast! I’ve got a bit of indigestion, but otherwise feel awesome! Yay!
Have a good one and I LOVE to hear your comments! xo Amy
If you want to start at the beginning of the series click here!