Taste buds are a funny thing. They can betray you at any time. Personally, I think they have an addiction problem: they eat too much of something and they’re hooked. For years mine were addicted to sugar. Cookies, cupcakes, donuts, candy bars, chocolate… they all called my name. Fruits and vegetables, not so much.
If you told me a year ago that I would one day actually choose a vegetable juice over a candy bar, I would laugh out loud. And then probably told you that you were nuts. It wasn’t possible. Or was it?
When I started juicing, I was surprised that many people, instead of wrinkling their noses wanted to learn more. Their biggest concern is the taste. “Isn’t it awful?”, they ask? I’ve had several people over to my house for taste tests. A few have been less than thrilled with the green juice, but like the carrot, apple ginger juice. Most are pleasantly surprised and say “it’s not bad”.
I wasn’t crazy about some of the recipes in the beginning either, but grew to love them and eventually fell in love with others. Some I like better than others, but I know that there are so many health benefits to eating a variety that I am trying recipes until I find a good mix for me.
In the beginning I started juicing primarily for health reasons. Today, I juice for several reasons…
- I think it’s incredibly healthy and healing.
- It makes me feel better than I have years. Lots of years.
- It gives me control. I can eat those sweet things that I enjoy here and there, but it’s a tool that helps me keep it in check. I don’t have to freak out any more if I gain a few lbs. down the road because I know that in a few days I will get back to where I need to be.
- I think it’s the best preventive “medicine” you can take.
- I like the way I look when I juice and eat healthy. My face isn’t puffy and my skin is soft and clear.
- I LIKE THE TASTE OF IT. Who knew?
Turns out my taste buds have a new addiction: fruit and vegetables. Watch out, if you give it a try, you might just have some little addicts on your hands too. This is one addiction though that doesn’t need an intervention! I can honestly say I now crave juice and not sweets. That’s not to say I don’t want sweets, but when I do allow myself to have some, I find they are really not that satisfying any more.
Remember when I said beets tasted like dirt? And then when I said I take it back? Well, I’ve been experimenting with recipes and below is the one with beets that I tried at LaGuardia airport and found I really do like them. Above is a photo of all the ingredients, minus the carrots. I forgot to take a photo of those. I used two gigantic ones…
Here’s the recipe if you want to try it…
LGA Juice Recipe (picture of ingredients in two above photos)
- 2 XL carrots or 4 or 5 regular
- 3 generous handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 of a bunch of parsley stems and all
- 1/2 of cucumber peeled
- 1/2 of large beet. Ends cut-off and peeled
- 1 medium sized lemon or two small
Let me know if you like it!
I lost another pound this morning! That’s 11 pounds in 13 Days of the juice fast. xo Amy
To start at the beginning, click here!